I presented my paper at the ACS national meeting in San Francisco. Although I flew out I decide to reduce my carbon footprint and take the train back to St. Louis. Although I had ridden the train in Europe many times, it was my first overnight trip in the States. I was excited.
The California Zephyr leaves from Emeryville between Oakland and Berkeley Calif. It takes 48 hours. For the first hour the train hugs the eastern shore of San Francisco Bay. We cross the Sierra Nevada during March the Donner Pass was still covered in snow.
Reno The trip through the desert was fascinating. It was just light enough to see something. The best part of travel on the train is the people you meet. The Zephyr goes thorough Salt Lake, Denver, Omaha, and Iowa.
Crossing the Missouri the Mississippi Rivers in the same day. There was one glitch, the train doesn’t go to St. Louis. I got off in Galesburg where my kind wife was waiting for me. We drove back on Route 61 and back home after a stop in Hannibal. A very worthwhile trip.
Three days in a train I took the train twice that year
My daughter and I drove my son out to LA to graduate school at UCLA. Marion had heard about my trip on the Calif Zephyr. She wanted to try the train herself. I was reluctant at first, but she talked me into it. It turned out to be a great idea.
The train from LA to St Louis takes three days with an over night stay in San Antonio. Although the Southwest Chief was shorter, we opted for the more southern route hugging the border with Mexico Sunset Limited as we had stopped at the Grand Canyon on the way out. We boarded the train in Los Angeles Union Station in the afternoon. The first stop is Pomona then Yuma. After a brief trip through Tucson and New Mexico we spent the next three days in Texas including El Paso, the Alamo, Austin and Dallas. Yes, it really is a big state. After three days we arrived home in St. Louis. The train continued on to Chicago. With the addition of an additional wagon. Trains are popular now.
- Sinkhole Forms On I-80 Near Donner Pass; One Lane Closed In Each Direction (sacramento.cbslocal.com)
- California Zephyr, Day One (ugandaloveme.wordpress.com)
- Ten years riding the Gold Line: photos and observations (thesource.metro.net)
- Teens Plan to Light up El Paso (hispanicbusiness.com)
- The Pacific Coast League
- announces realignment for 2014 (minorleagueball.com)
- Oakland ferry train shed and California Zephyr in Feather River Canyon (garygarthmccann.com)
- California Zephyr #6, EMY-CHI, Day 1 (circussnoopy.wordpress.com)
- MLB: St. Louis 12, Pittsburgh 8 (upi.com)
- The Zephyr (thegazzer.wordpress.com)