The Munich Oktoberfest ends today
- Why do they call it Oktoberfest, when in starts in September?
- It all started with a wedding in 1810. Crown Prince Ludwig married Princess Therese of Saxony-Hildburghausen.
- The Oktoberfest originally included horse races. The horse races are no longer held.
- Each Maaskrug of beer weighs five pounds if the Fraeulein carries four in each hand that’s forty pounds!
- The most foreign visitors come from Italy, not the USA.
- Six million visitors are expected this year.
The Oktoberfest takes place in a former meadow called the Wiesn. Wiesn means meadow in German.
Oktoberfest 2014 http://tinyurl.com/oubdtjs date accessed 10/5/14
http://www.pinakothek.de/en/neue-pinakothek date accessed 10/5/14